Sunday, April 20, 2014

Emma Kate - Five

October 2, 2013

Dear Emma Kate,

In honor of you turning a full high FIVE today, I thought this year's birthday letter should concentrate on that important number.


Five Things You Did in the Past Year:
1.  You went to cheer camp for the first time.  You had been begging since Grace first started going, and this year was finally your year.  You cheered, jumped, stunted, and tumbled your way through the week with a smile and a "5, 6, 7, 8.."


2.  You went to the beach not once, but twice!  We had so much fun on our family trip to Okaloosa Island and on our girl (plus Reece) trip to St. Simons Island.  You are a natural beach girl!


3.  You began reading.  Right now, we're working on sight words, and you can sound out those CVC words like a champ!  I can't wait to see where this new skill takes you!


4.  You started Pre-K.  My big girl at big girl school - WOW!  You are in love with your teachers Ms. Keshia and Ms. Krissie.  Your favorite things about pre-k are the art center, story time, and getting to pack your lunch.  You are not in love with rest time, but what's new?


5.  You won Miss Apple Seedling.  You were cute as a button in your yellow "Belle" dress, and you loved getting to play dress up!


Five Things I Love About You:
1.  Your laugh.  You have got this deep, belly laugh that can light the darkest night.  You laugh at everything.  Even when it's not appropriate.  Don't ever stop.


2.  Your love of cuddling.  You crave affection, and we are more than happy to give it.  You have always been a cuddle bug and you love to "tickle noses".  I love when your little arms (that seem to be getting longer by the day) reach up to me and request to be held.  See, even though you are 5 years old now, you are still my baby.


3.  Your free spirit.  EK, marching to the beat of your own drummer is an understatement.  You have your own opinions, your own passions, and you don't let other people sway you.  Though it can be frustrating when we're rushing out the door in the mornings, I am certain that this is going to pay off one day when peer pressure threatens to creep in.


4.  Your obsession with orange.  No pink for my girl!  Orange is your favorite color.  To be honest, I have always despised orange.  Never owned anything orange; the orange from my Sharpee set was shoved into my desk drawer the first year I started teaching.  But thanks to you, I think it's a beautiful color.  I find myself looking for orange things to buy you, want to find ways to incorporate orange into your life, and notice I'm drawn to orange now because it reminds me of you.  Birthday number five is themed orange at your request.  Orange decorations, orange food, orange party favors, orange, orange, orange.


5.  Your wit.  Girl, you have a comeback for everything!  Some of those comebacks I'm embarrassed to write out, but ask your Papa or your Pop someday.


Five Hopes and Wishes I Have for You
1.  Never stop believing you can do anything or be anything.


2.  Never lose your love for learning.


3.  Have a life containing more laughter than tears.



4.  Always have a close relationship with your sister and brother.


5.  Most importantly, accept Jesus as your personal savior and live your life for His glory.


My sweet girl, these five years have flown by.  You are a constant reminder in our family not to take things too seriously, and to always have time for a hug.  I love you with all my heart.

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment