Sunday, June 12, 2011

School Days

Dear Grace,

We just wrapped up your first year of school.  Though it was only 3 mornings a week, it was official.  According to you, it is what separated you from the "little girls."  On that first day last September as I wiped my tears that my little big girl was entering a new phase, I prayed.  I prayed that your first day would go well, that you would like your teacher, that you would get along well with the other kids, that you would feel secure and confident.


Yes, I prayed for those things so many times leading up to the moment I dropped you off in your classroom.  And then, I prayed for them at least 1000 times over the course of the school year.


It didn't take long for my worries about you liking school and it living up to your expectations to seem silly.  Every day when I got in from work, you were bubbling with excitement over what you learned, who was line leader, what you had for snack, and dozens of other details about your day.  I love getting to see your work each school day.


It also didn't take long for me to realize how much you love Ms. Cyndi.  You had Emma Kate participating in a pretend world of school in no time where you were the boss.  I can tell by the tone of voice you used as teacher and the way you handled "discipline situations" that Ms. Cyndi was loving, patient, and full of energy.  We were so blessed that your first teacher was Ms. Cyndi.  Not only did she teach you about letters and how to correctly hold a book when reading to your students :), but she taught you about waiting your turn, sharing, and treating others with kindness.  We were also blessed that you were able to learn truths from the Bible each week at school.


You met your first school best friend this year.  You and Madison are like 2 peas in a pod with your love of pink, cosmetics, and jewelry.


As preschool is fading and pre-kindergarten is approaching, I hope your love of school and learning will continue. Remember to always do your best and treat others with kindness.


It's so hard to believe that I'm typing a post about your first completed year of school.  It flew by in a blink.  It makes me scared about how quickly the next years of school will pass.  Remind me not to blink too much.







Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment