Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I've been MIA from blogging, the kitchen, and the cleaning cabinet.  But, I promise at least part of me has been busy - the part that grows a baby!  Right after Christmas, we learned that Baby #3 will be joining our family in early September.  Symptoms appeared even before we got confirmation via a pregnancy test, and since then, they have continued with a vengeance.  The sickness that has joined me for every pregnancy showed up 2 weeks earlier this time than my 2 previous pregnancies.  Thanks to enough Zofran, I've managed to keep some food down and be able to function.  And I do use the term "function" loosely.  Cooked meals have been few and far between, house cleaning is all about perspective, and my bedtime has often been the same time as (if not before) Grace and Emma Kate.

Right after we found out our little miracle was on it's way, I began reading all about the baby's development.  I was 4 weeks pregnant at the time, and at that point, the baby is the size of a poppy seed.  A few nights later, I made poppy seed chicken for dinner.  As I poured in the poppy seeds, I began looking at them, examining them.  It is nothing short of amazing that God, who spoke the universe into existence formed the little poppy seed of a baby in my tummy.  Created him or her for His glory.  All of his or her DNA, his or her personality, his or her soul is contained in a package that starts out smaller than a poppy seed.  Nothing short of amazing.

When we told the girls they would be getting a little brother or sister, we got a "No boys allowed!" from Grace.  She and Emma Kate love to kiss my belly and talk about all the things they will get to do for their sibling.  I still haven't managed to convince them to take care of the dirty diapers.  

We had our first ultrasound at 9 weeks to make sure the dates were correct and to see the little heartbeat.  It was so reassuring to see the little flicker on the screen and hear the gallop of the baby's heart.  



We had another ultrasound at 12 weeks.  It is incredible how much growth takes place in 3 short weeks.  The baby was flipping all over the place, showing off, and even seemed to play peek-a-boo.  At 12 weeks, the baby is a little over 2 inches long.  



Now that we're at the end of the first trimester, I'm getting a little energy back.  And, the alldayallnight sickness is easing up as well.  I feel so blessed that God has given us the opportunity to welcome another little one into our family.  My prayer continues to be that I will be a Godly mother and teach my children about the joy of a relationship with Christ.

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." 
Psalm 139:13

1 comment: